BobKamman
Level 15

Sometimes it helps to learn the law before learning the software.  If your client receives a cash liquidation distribution, you have to find out the basis in the stock that is being liquidated.  Once the distributions exceed basis, or the final distribution is made so you can determine a gain or loss, you put it on Schedule D.  Intuit can't ask your client questions.  You have to do that.  

I do a lot of 1041's also.  I also know that the 1040 and the 1041 returns are developed by two completely different teams at IRS, or at least by different people on the same team but at different times.  There is no Schedule B for the 1041, in case you haven't noticed.  I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, but I have learned how to work with two different forms.  

The "jump" for the Dividend Worksheet and Interest Worksheet, where you double-click to enter Additional Information, can sometimes be quirky.  Sometimes it takes me 15 seconds to remember where amortized bond premium or accrued interest paid should go. But I figure that if Intuit changed things around to make it easier this year, Congress and/or IRS would change the law and/or forms next year so it would just have to be rearranged again.