dbtaxsolutions
Level 4
Too bad i can't post a photo of the return. The tax table smart worksheet is on 1040  in the software (not on print out).  The 13 240 comes from Capital gain of 24 513 - 11 273 rental real state suspended loses (final year). The capital gain comes from a qualified homesale that was depreciated for 2.5 years as a rental and un recaptured section 1250 gain of $4378. The prior CPA used a much lower basis for depreciation on the rental asset so that linking the homesale to rental asset disposal creates a capital gain when in fact the owner bought it for 143000 and sold it for 140 000.  The Cpa depreciated it at the basis of 58 930 starting in 2015, so when i did the sale and appropriate the sale portion of the bldg, it came up to 115 173 creating that huge capital gain (but outside of that, it's actually a loss). Doing that created the 2139 tax liability. When i found out, it was actually a loss, i disregarded the basis that was used, did not link the home sale and just did qualified home sale, that's when i got the $2903 result, which was higher for some reason. Thank you everyone, i am just trying to make sense of this worksheet. I don't actually see a capital gains tax table, do you?
0 Cheers