jesmithjr86
Level 3

This is a repeat client for several years.  The earned income credit calculated as $1766 and child tax credit calculated as $213 as compared to last year $6000 earned income credit and $3000 child tax credit.  Income is less in 2023 then 2022 so that is why I am questioning this.  The earned income is from self employment only in 2023 as compared to having both W2/self employment income.  There does not seem to be an issue with the amount of income for the calculation. One child was taking college classes in 2022 and 20223 age 19 turned 20 in 2023 and another is a senior in high school but turned 18 in 2023. The student taking college classes did not get financial aid in 2023 because they filed the application late. I learned that she is considered disabled for work but selecting that indicator did not change the result of the credits. So it looks like there are only two eligible dependents for the earned income credit and child tax credit compared to 3 in 2022.  In my logic the refunds should be 1/3 less.  So that is the only thing different this year.  Without understanding the calculation and knowing if the the level of the credits changed 2022 to 2023 the result seems wrong. There is another child involved that is shared custody and they have a verbal agreement to alternate years to be claimed. The father pays child support.  I added this child to the return and no change to the credits.

0 Cheers