George4Tacks
Level 15

I remember that the City of Oakland took at least 2 years to get their payroll right. Incorrect pay amount, Incorrect W-2s. It is a holy mess for a very long time. Y2K did honestly mess up a computer system that had relied on a two digit year. I had several clients who suddenly either became much older than their years, or much younger. Tricks were done to fool the stupid computer. I see San Francisco teachers had a similar problem this year sorting various classifications of workers. Y2K truly was the tip of the computer kerfuffle. Even now I personally get very angry. frustrated and depressed over having to have 832 different user name and indecipherable passwords to keep track of. It seems every week I get a notice that some big company was hacked and I must take steps to protect myself and my data. ARGHHHH!

My other great memory of that time was my wife found this wonderful ugly armpit of a home for us to fix up and make our own. We bought it right after tax season 2017. My 21 year old nephew and my wife and I were the general contractors and did most of the work . I do remember the crew, which included Brother in Law and his wife sitting down for dinner in a local eatery and be told about the death of Princess Diana. The rebuild took about 2 years. We then had some landscaping done and decided to have an open house on 01/01/2020 - A Y2K open house. 

If you want to see what we did you can view BEFORE DURING and AFTER  by clicking on those 3 links. Also feel free to browse in the other branches of the site to see some of other interest. 

This is the 53 year old me and the 21 year old nephew (who out reached me by 21 inches because I was "Vertically disadvantaged". He painted ceilings without the ladder that I had move perpetually to do the same job. In case you wonder. Doing this was much more rewarding than doing taxes.

George at work.jpg

Happy New Year to All!!!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns