gabletax
Level 4

In troubleshooting with an Ohio tax agent, we discovered a ProSeries bug. ProSeries is not checking the box on the front page of the Ohio individual return for Federal extension filers.

Ohio is like most states in recognizing a properly filed federal extension as also extending the Ohio filing deadline. On the Ohio Information Worksheet, there is a box to check to indicate whether there is a federal extension in place. This should carry over to page 1 of the Ohio return, where there is a corresponding checkbox. (This checkbox on page 1 of Ohio's IT-1040 does not appear in the software. However, it does print on a paper copy of the form.)

Due to this bug, my own tax refund and carryover-to-next-year designation was messed up. The agent tells me that if that box is not checked on page 1 of the IT-1040, their system does not recognize any Ohio extension payments as extension payments. It uses the payment, but since it appears to the Ohio Dept. of Taxation that there was not a federal extension, it messes up other things.

This needs to be fixed in ProSeries' Ohio individual module for 2024. Posting here because I don't know how else to get ProSeries' attention on bugs that need fixing. Thanks for listening!