jskouberdis
Level 4

I have a question to ask the community about an excess Roth contribution.  I have a client that between them and their spouse made over the Roth IRA income limits for 2022.  I discovered that when preparing their tax returns.  They went to their IRA custodian and withdrew the funds.  They discovered that they had a $500 loss between the two of them so they withdrew $11,500 of their $12,000 initial contributions.  At their income level I believe the $500 loss will not be deductible as miscellaneous itemized deduction since the 2% floor to deduct misc. item. deduct. at $223,000 is $4460 and the $500 is the only misc. item. deduct. that they have.  My question is will they get a 1099 this year showing the distribution for 2022 or will it happen in 2023 with a prior year code. If I get a 1099-R this year will I have to explain that they had a loss and they had basis in the Roth IRA.  I just handle average people who don't make a lot of money and I have never encountered this in the past.  Also when I entered on the Roth IRA contribution worksheet that they each withdrew the $6000 contribution to the Roth account it eliminated the 6% penalty which is what I wanted.  My other question is should I report with the return as a miscellaneous note that they withdrew their contribution to the Roth account because the IRS may see on the 5498 that they contributed to the Roth or will the 5498 say zero because they took the contriubution out before 4-15-23.  

0 Cheers