taxmanbing04
Level 2

I'm sorry to say, but I think that's simply incorrect.  And I think all three Intuit representatives are wrong too.

First off -- Intuit is inconsistent, because in their higher-tier software, Lacerte, they allow the printed preparer or ERO name on the 8879, even though the ERO PIN is already present.  So if what those reps said is true, then why do they allow it in Lacerte?

Second -- it is the signature for the e-file transmission itself, not the 8879.  Think about it.  Taxpayers have to sign the 8879, even through the taxpayer PINs are right there on the 8879.  Do their pins act as their signature?  No.  Basically they are saying "this PIN will be used in the software as my signature for transmission purposes, and I'm signing off on that fact."  EROs have to basically do the same thing.

The Intuit reps are wrong. As has been pointed out in this thread, it does not meet the IRS qualifications.  They simply don't address the issue.

And just for argument's sake -- Even if they were right, they allow the option in Lacerte, so why can't they just allow the same option in ProSeries.

The way Intuit has handled this matter has been embarrassing.