jskouberdis
Level 4

I have a situation where a lady who did not file her return because she had no income except social security she received $1400 stimulus payment in 2021.  In the past her daughter did not claim her as a dependent but in 2021 wants to claim her because she provides more than half of her support.  When filling out the stimulus worksheet if I take her as a dependent on daughter's return this year it will populate that she is entitled to $2800 of stimulus payments.  Should I fill in the amount received as $2800 because mother and daughter both received the proper stimulus payments or should I only put in the $1400 that the daughter received because she is the taxpayer therefore the daughter will get another $1400 for the mother on 2021 return because she is claiming mother on 2021 taxes.  Has anybody else seen this.  I know that as far as college students I had a few that claimed themselves on their returns and they received a stimulus payment on 2020 return and the parents received stimulus payment for students also before they filed their returns.  Hope to hear from somebody out there in the community.