In my understanding these are retained by the CPA/ERO and could be audited by the IRS. If your 8879s have been examined are you willing to share what you learned from that experience?

sjrcpa
Level 15

It was many years ago. IRS gave me a short list, by SSN, of signed 8879s they wanted to see.

I produced them.

End of story..

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I could be wrong, but unless the IRS notices a potential problem, I don't think they do that very often anymore.  I think the IRS is putting forth much more effort towards auditing tax preparers for Due Diligence and have drastically reduced the 8879 audits.

View solution in original post

Thank you. I have saved 1000s of them. I need to review the requirements for disposal dates.

Some of my clients get very worried about signing exactly as the name is printed.  

With a very few trusted clients, I ask one to sign for both. I doubt that is a problem.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...With a very few trusted clients, I ask one to sign for both"

MY solution for that is.....  'Isn't s/he in the car down in the parking lot?  Out the front door/back in seconds with the second signature.  <w> <nod>.

MY position on this is, if/when the e-file police show up - that's my signal to just go ahead and retire.  But I'm relatively close to that decision anyway so it wouldn't be a problem.  Well, it might be for my clients.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Back in the early days of e-filing - I started e-filing in 1993 - I was audited.

The only thing I couldn't find was my original approval letter from the IRS saying I was allowed to e-file.

I passed.

I scan all signed 8879s and destroy the originals.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.