GuyIncognito
Level 1

I am dealing with the sale of rental property that, in 2023 was 1/3 personal use and 2/3 business use - although that varied over the years. I am following the instructions here for an asset reported on Screen 22, Depreciation:

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/form-8949/reporting-sale-property-used-ren...

However, under "Additional Information" in Screen 22, I have an entry of 0.6666 in the "Percentage of Business Use" and, playing around with different entries, I realize that differences in the value in that field dramatically affect the gain shown on Line 24 of Form 4797p2.

My understanding was that the 'Percentage of Business Use' entry affects the year-to-year depreciation used, depending on the business-to-personal use ratio. However, I am not sure why the number would affect the gain on sale so dramatically (and consequently, I don't know what the correct entry should be, if any - it seems that the final year's ratio shouldn't be the arbiter here).

Any guidance, or pointers in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Cheers