PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Honestly, it depends on the state. For most of the states I deal with (none of which are CA or OR), the state-source income gets entered as one number per state in the State Source column of the K-1 Box 1 input, leaving the N/S source box blank. North Dakota likes a different presentation, and they get state source amounts spread across a bunch of boxes, to match the ND K-1. Line 13 Other Deducts in the box where you get to choose your code, I always source to the resident state because I made my state-level adjustments to some other box. Separately-stated income and deductions are the same way (and note that they, along with depletion, have their own passive loss carryforwards, because of course they do).

Honestly, if I have even a trivial 1040, I recreate it in that year's Lacerte, then proforma. It's really hard getting all the carryovers in the right places, and much easier to produce close-enough prior year output that generates the right carryovers. Except for the passive QBI carryovers, which are the devil. Whoever came up with the idea of QBI ought to be sitting on the Capitol Building lawn, helping people fill in those forms by hand with nothing but a copy of the IRC, the regs, and a sharp pencil, 24/7 until they see the error of their ways.