Cathie H
Level 2

On the federal return, if you report a group of stock sales as a summary entry on Schedule D, you can enter a negative date and Lacerte produces “Various” as the date bought or sold or both. 

If you have a nonresident (or resident?) Pennsylvania income in the return, Lacerte gives you a critical diagnostic saying “Date disposed cannot be “Various for PA e-filing purposes”.

The PA instructions for their Schedule D of Form 40, shows they allow “Various” in the date field.  See attached PA 40 D Instructions.  Page 2, Line 1 column b and c.    I also typed in “Various” on their form.    I believe the diagnostic is out of date,  like from the dark ages. 

This client has a large number of Sch D transactions, so I am going to have client file a paper  return.  I am going to include a cover letter addressed to PA Dept of Revenue indicating they should penalize  Lacerte for not accomodating "Various" on the PA e-filed return.  PA probably does not realize how many returns are being blocked from e-filing in this manner.   

Diagnostic 19621.PNG

PA Sch D - 40 Instructions, Page 2

PA Sch D-40 Instructions.PNG

Please fix this as soon as possible.  

0 Cheers