dustinwoo
Level 1

I made the move last year for the 2022 tax return filings. The cost savings that I estimated was $30k. I use Docusign so the e-signature did not factor in my decision. 

The learning curve is huge. I have experienced staff and they are having a hard time. The transition, even though there is Ultratax conversion, does not convert the states info and all the carryovers may not move to the right areas. You would need to double check a lot of last year figures to make sure it transitions well. I am very behind in my returns this year and it's such a headache. Ultratax is very database feeling and some of the inputs do not make logical sense, unlike how it is with Lacerte.

I would say Lacerte tech support is a lot better than Ultratax. It seems like Ultratax reps are reading how the community forums have solved the issues without them knowing how to solve it first hand. I felt Lacerte reps were a lot better in this category. 

Would I make the move knowing that what I know now? Yes, without a doubt. I'm saving $30k this year and Ultratax has given a deal to have fixed fees for 5 years. So potentially, that's $30k for 5 years. The other kicker was that Ultratax gives a set fee for any type of return in all states. So I'm not paying extra REP fees. This helped because a lot of clients moved out of CA during the pandemic and they still are with me. I had the Lacerte Unlimited 1040, 1120S, 1065 with CA access, but with out of state clients, that's just increases my fees.