TS23
Level 2

Lacerte tax calculation different than IRS. Anyone else receive notices from the IRS stating tax has been recomputed resulting in lower tax than what Lacerte calculates? This is specific to farmers that sold farm property and use Schedule J. It can be both schedule F or (in most cases), farming activities held in passthru entities. I've made multiple attempts to work with Lacerte by sending them the tax return files from the software as well as IRS transcripts but they will not make the effort to take a deep dive into the tax calculations. They simply state that we will need to get the tax calculation details from the IRS. I doubt any of our clients that received a lower tax would want to open up a potential can of worms by having the IRS look into it? Does anyone know what department of the IRS would actually provide the math calculation (with the capital gains worksheets) breaking down exactly how the tax was calculated? And, why wouldn't Lacerte want to look into this? If anything, what if there is an efile transmission issue causing a figure to go into a different place in the IRS system on certain returns.

This has been concerning to say the least. I have now seen this in 2019-2021 Lacerte software. All figures on the tax return are identical to IRS transcripts except the tax computation which is directly related to Schedule J. Been using Lacerte for at least 22 years but might be time to start all over within something else. Ugh.