Brandee_R
Level 1

Has anyone noticed that Lacerte is not correctly calculating the underpayment penalty and interest charges? So far we've only noticed it on state of Kansas tax returns. It looks as if a full year is being calculated, even though we've entered the filing date on screen 8, and have the interest rates current in user options.

0 Cheers
CGJeff
Level 3

Sadly, I didn't catch this during tax season and now I have clients receiving notices from both federal and Oregon that the penalties/interest was calculated incorrectly and clients are getting refunds.  I've never had this happen in the 25 years I have used Lacerte... I'm baffled.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Examples, with amounts?

I usually check the "let IRS figure it" box because it's usually under $100 and they don't assess it. 

If the penalty can be reduced by using one of the exceptions on the 2210, I'll do that.  That often eliminates the need for the July 15 payment entirely.  But I might hear from a few clients.  

If the client insists on paying the penalty with the return and it's obviously high enough that IRS will assess it, I go along with the Pro Series calculations.  Staying tuned for calls from clients who won't be unhappy about a small refund check.  

0 Cheers