jtgcpa
Level 3

Your response is exactly what my original thoughts were, and is very much appreciated.  Here's my commentary to our hunches as to why Lacerte won't roll the data forward:

• that is part of the data that needs to be verified to ascertain a taxpayer's identity;

Seeing as how I already have this data in the PY program, I have already ascertained the taxpayer's identity.  Transferring the data to the CY program only saves me from having to manually retrieve it from the PY program.

• driver's license will expire after a certain period;

At which time I can verify the data with my client and update and/or change this (none of which requires me to manually enter the data again).

• taxpayers should generally apply for a new license when they relocate to a different state;

At which time I would ask for new data from the client, seeing as how their DL would obviously change.

• the number will change when a new license is issued.

Not in most states.  Most states keep the same DL number when a new license is issued.  Only the expiry date changes.

Lacerte could do me a solid and not make me go get data that I've already taken time to collect from the PY program.