mdkappy1
Level 2

I decided NOT to switch to PTO as there were too many things with which I wasn't satisfied - i.e., organizer, modifiable cover letters, etc.  Plus, I didn't think that the program was nearly as robust as regular Lacerte.  It's kind of how I feel about QBO vs Quickbooks.  It's just not the same look, feel, and functionality.

So, I ended up moving my entire office to the Cloud - including Lacerte, QuickBooks, and a couple of other programs.  I've loaded up the last 8 years of Lacerte and data.  I use a company called Cloudvara for hosting and couldn't be happier.  Their Cloud functions just as fast as if it were in my office on a server - yet way more reliable.  Their tech support is instantaneous and extremely competent.

I use SmartVault for client data, tax return storage, organizers, and engagement letters.  It interfaces extremely well with Lacerte and the rest of my programs (Microsoft Office).

Finally, I've stored all of the data that used to be on my server (All prior years Lacerte data - going back to the 90's - payroll program data, documents, etc) in the Microsoft Cloud.  They give you a Terrabyte of storage with any subscription to Office 365.  If I need access, it's always there with a few clicks.  No more server maintenance in my office.  Paperless is the BEST!