Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prior years' tax return copies or transcripts.

Level 1

I have a new client considering divorce.  They live separately. She has not participated in the preparation of their joint tax returns other than signing the forms.  She has no copies of the returns and no contact with the preparer. 

Question:  If we file Form 4506 or 4506T, will the spouse be notified of the request.  If so, how can that be avoided?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Lee Cooper

Crystal River, FL

0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Level 15

What address were you going to use?

Effective July 1, 2019, RAIVS transcript requests received on Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ may only be mailed to the taxpayer's address of record. Requests to send transcripts to a third party will be rejected.

0 Cheers
Level 12
Level 12

I believe you can still send copy of tax return to third party on 4506, but it cost $50

0 Cheers
Level 4

If you get a POA would the IRS send transcripts to your  e services account?  I think  they might.

0 Cheers