Expands Safeguards in Place for ProSeries, Lacerte and Intuit Tax Online; Provides Tips to Help Protect Tax Professionals and Their Clients
PLANO, Texas – Jan. 6, 2016 – As part of its continuing commitment to work with the Internal Revenue Service, states and industry to combat tax fraud, Intuit Inc. (Nasdaq: INTU) today announced security enhancements across its suite of professional tax products, including Intuit Tax Online, ProSeries and Lacerte, and provided tips to help tax professionals safeguard themselves and the clients they serve. The expanded security features offer additional ways to authenticate tax preparers’ identities upon account sign in and verification of their E-File Identification Number, or EFIN before electronic filing.
“With these new security enhancements in place, our professional tax customers can be confident they are providing their clients industry leading standards of protection,” said David Williams, chief tax officer at Intuit. “Our tax professionals rely on us to deliver technology and resources necessary to help them further protect their information and the information of their valued clients.”
Intuit Security Enhancements
For tax year 2015, Intuit has implemented the following security enhancements for its professional tax products, Intuit Tax Online, ProSeries and Lacerte, to further strengthen customer identity authentication and notification:
- Multi-factor authentication: New for tax year 2015, Intuit has implemented multi-factor authentication in its professional tax products to help authenticate user identities and help tax professionals securely sign into their account. When tax professionals access their account for the first time or from a new device, they will automatically be sent a unique, six-digit code to their pre-designated, trusted device to be used in combination with their password to access their account.
- E-file Identification Number Requirements: Intuit requires that all Electronic Return Originators possess IRS-issued E-File Identification Numbers before e-filing. New tax professional customers must have IRS documentation of EFIN registration on file before they can e-file through Intuit’s professional tax products. In addition, Intuit will proactively notify tax preparers who use the company’s professional tax software when appears that their EFIN may have been compromised so they can reinstate their EFIN with the IRS.
Tips to Help Tax Professionals Fight Fraud
As tax professionals head into the tax season, Intuit offers the following tips to help further protect themselves, their clients and their office:
- Shred financial records: Shred all documents that include sensitive client information before throwing it away.
- Restrict access to client files and computers: All computers with sensitive client records should be protected with a strong password. Create a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols. Don’t use passwords that are generic and easy to guess, such as your firm name, the word “password” or a numeric sequence. Paper files should be kept locked and access restricted.
- Beware of phishing scams: Criminals use fraudulent emails and create fake Web sites, to lure unsuspecting users into revealing private account information, like your EFIN. Be suspicious of unsolicited emails that ask for confidential or sensitive information and include a link to a Web site. Mouse over the link, look at the site’s address and make certain that it appears legitimate before clicking. Intuit posts notices for phishing emails on the Intuit Online Security Center:https://security.intuit.com
- Install or update anti-virus software on computers: Use the latest version of your Web browser. Install security patches and software updates as soon as they are available.
- Educate clients: Help educate clients about what they can do to protect themselves online, including protecting their computer and mobile device, creating strong passwords and being aware of phishing scams.
Visit Intuit Pro Tax Center for more articles, resources, and insights.
About Intuit Inc.
Intuit Inc. creates business and financial management solutions that simplify the business of life for small businesses, consumers and accounting professionals.
Its flagship products and services include QuickBooks® and TurboTax®, which make it easier to manage small businessesand tax preparation and filing. Mint.com provides a fresh, easy and intelligent way for people to manage their money, while ProSeries® and Lacerte® are Intuit’s leading tax preparation offerings for professional accountants.
Founded in 1983, Intuit had revenue of $4.2 billion in its fiscal year 2015. The company has approximately 7,700 employees with major offices in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, India and other locations. More information can be found at www.intuit.com.