This article explains how to operate Lacerte in a Windows environment, including the recommended settings.
In a traditional server/workstation environment, the recommended settings are:
- Install the program locally on each workstation with the data and options stored on the file server.
- Download updates to the System File Path so users don't need to be out of the program to perform an update.
- It's recommended that updates are scheduled for installation after hours when no one is in the program.
- After the setup folder has been updated, users are prompted to install the update upon opening the program.
- In Primary Options, set and apply the following user options to prevent any accidental updates:
- On the Setup tab, in the Program Options section, turn on Disable Lacerte Update Notification.
- In Trustee Rights, remove Lacerte update rights for the Default Rights user as well as all other users except the program administrator.
Lacerte update schedule
During tax season, Lacerte updates are on a twice a week release schedule and update on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Out-of-season updates are scheduled once a week on Wednesdays.
- Early in season, there are typically more updates due to form approvals.
- Occasionally, e-filed returns will be rejected with instructions that they can't be e-filed until the program is updated. In that case, you'll need to wait for the program update to e-file.
- Set the Lacerte Update Scheduler to download updates once a week on Friday. This captures all updates for the week. Or, set it to check for updates nightly.
- Once updates have been downloaded and pushed to the Setup folder, users will be prompted to install the update as they either exit or enter the program.