This article explains how to remove old, empty folders from the DMS database in order to enhance program performance.
- The process is organized in the folder templates window of DMS. There, you create a master "map" of all the folders in your database and then delete any that are too old.
- It's recommended to keep only the current tax year folder and the two prior tax year folders in the folder template.
Before You Begin
- Make sure your DMS version is up to date.
- Go to Tools and click Internet Updates to update your program.
- Make sure you have a current backup of your DMS database.
- Make sure all users are out of DMS.
- It's recommended to run DMS locally from the computer where the DMS database resides.
- Network users should run DMS on the server.
How to remove old, empty folders from DMS
The following steps won't result in data loss. DMS will never delete a folder where files reside.
- If at any point you encounter any database errors when completing the steps in this article, exit the program and see Running DMS database repair utility DBRepair.