To enter Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding, in a 1040NR return:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left navigation menu, select Miscellaneous Forms,
- Select Foreign Withholding (RRB-1042S, 1042-S, SSA-1042S) (RRB-1042S/SSA-1042S).
- Enter the information from the 1042-S here.
- Click the plus sign (+) sign near the top of the screen if multiple 1042-S entries are needed.
Total withholding credit entered here is placed in the e-file and carries to form 1040NR. However, income amounts entered here do not carry to the tax return, and should be entered elsewhere as necessary.