Use Screen 55.091, St. Part-Yr./Nonres. Information, to enter information related to part year and non residents for NY.
Generating a part-year New York return
To generate a New York part-year resident return:
- Go to Screen 1, Client Information.
- Scroll to the Resident Status section at the top of the screen.
- Uncheck the box Full Year Resident? below the Resident State as pf 12/31 input field.
- Go to Screen 55.091, New York Part-Year/Nonresident Information.
If the Taxpayer & Spouse became a New York resident during the tax year:
- Check the box Moved into New York State (code 1).
- Enter the date the Taxpayer & Spouse moved into New York in the field Date moved into (or out of) NY state (code 2).
If the Taxpayer & Spouse moved out of New York during the tax year:
- Enter the date the Taxpayer & Spouse moved out of NY in the field Date moved into (or out of) NY state (code 2).
- Check the applicable box under the subsection Moved From NY State:
- Received income from New York (code 3), or
- Received no income from New York (code 4)
Note: There's only one input field for the date moved into or out of New York because the state does not support separate residency periods for the Taxpayer & Spouse.
Generating New York Form IT-203-B - Wage Allocation
- On Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips, ensure that the Taxpayer and/or Spouse wages as shown on the W-2 have been entered in box (1) Wages, tips, etc. (Ctrl+E if multi-state).
- Go to Screen 55.092, New York State Wage Allocation.
- If the W-2 subject to allocation belongs to the spouse, check the Spouse box; otherwise, leave this box blank.
- Select the W-2 to be allocated from the Name or number of W-2 (MANDATORY) drop-down menu.
- Complete all other applicable fields under the Wages Allocation to New York State section:
- Sick Leave
- Nonworking days
- Days worked outside New York
- Days worked at home
- If there are additional W-2?s to be allocated, click Add under the Allocation Schedule section from the left navigation panel to add additional W-2s.
- Repeat these Steps for each W-2 to be allocated on NY Form IT-203-B.
Lacerte will automatically complete; Wages to be allocated, Total days and Saturdays and Sundays (not worked). You may use the override fields provided to override Lacerte's automatic calculation on Form IT-203-B.
- If calculating days worked outside of New York, figure total working days without weekends (e.g. 52 weeks with two weekend days would have 261 working days: 365 - 104). A negative amount of NY income on Form IT-203, line 1, is usually a result of having too many days entered.
- Lacerte will not accept less than 365 days for the total year. If the taxpayer wants to show less than 365 days worked for that company, make an entry in Other non-working days for the amount of days they did not work for that company.