Firewalls are hardware or software applications that exist to prevent unauthorized access to a computer or network. They may also block data transmissions, which can interfere with ProSeries communications. Allowing ProSeries files access through the firewall can eliminate error messages in downloading, updating, and licensing the program, as well as e-filing returns.
In particular, you may see the message Error downloading product inventory when trying to download and install ProSeries. A hardware firewall blocking communications most often causes this message. The hardware firewall may be contained in your router or modem, or a separate standalone device. Your hardware firewall must be configured to allow access to the files listed below to resolve the error.
Most firewalls have the option to allow or trust specific applications and files, but some may require more advanced configuration. Refer to your firewall manufacturer's instructions on how to configure it. If you're not sure how to configure your firewall, contact your local IT professional.
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
Power cycle the router and modem:
If you are receiving an error stating "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset" or if the connection issue just started happening it is recommended to reset your internet connection before continuing:
- Power off the router and modem. If they do not have an off switch unplug both devices.
- Some devices are a combination router and modem.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Power on the modem and wait for the connection to establish.
- Power on the router.
- Attempt the connection again.
Allow these ProSeries files through your firewall:
These files are located in the following folder:
- ProSeries Professional: C:\ProWinYY\32bit
- ProSeries Basic : C:\BasWinYY\32bit
Setup Internet Explorer to allow communication:
- Open Internet Explorer, even when this is not the default web browser.
- From the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab, then Trusted Sites.
- Click the Sites button.
- Make sure that the checkbox for Require server verification for all sites in this zone, is unchecked.
- In the Add this website to the zone: field, enter the following items and then click Add to create additional entries.
- Select Close, then click OK.