One of the following Maryland critical diagnostics is generating in Lacerte:
- e-file: Maryland gross income is less than the minimum filing level for this taxpayer's filing status. In order to prevent tax from being computed for this return, the box in screen 55.271, "Not required to file Maryland return", should be checked. (ref. #10022)
- Income from Maryland sources is zero. In order to prevent tax from being computed for this return, the box in screen 55.271, "Not required to file Maryland return", should be checked. (ref. #10023)
Follow these steps to resolve the diagnostic:
- Go to Screen 55.271, Part-Yr./Nonres. Information.
- Select Maryland in the St. PY/Nonres. box on the left side of the screen.
- Check the box labeled Not required to file Maryland return.
- You should check this box if the taxpayer isn't required to file a Maryland tax return but is filing to receive a refund of taxes paid or withheld. The MD Form(s) 502 or 505 will generate with only the specified lines completed.
Nonresident returns that are not required to file a Maryland return are not currently supported for electronic filing in the tax program. The return will need to be filed on paper.