If there's a state abbreviation listed on the W-2 input but the state EIN is missing, the following diagnostic will generate in the Individual module of Lacerte:
e-file: Form W-2 #X: e-file state identification number is required on the W-2. (ref. #5172)
To resolve this diagnostic, you need to enter the state identification number on Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips.
If you don't have the state ID number, contact the employer to obtain it. If you can't obtain a state ID, entering Federal EIN will clear the diagnostic but doesn't guarantee acceptance by the taxing authority.
Follow these steps to resolve the diagnostic:
- Go to Screen 10, Wages, Salaries, Tips.
- Click on the W-2 listed in the diagnostic from the left navigation panel.
- Locate the Employer Information (MANDATORY for e-file) section.
- Press Ctrl+E in the Employer state ID no. (Ctrl+E if multi-state W-2) field.
- If there are state or local withholdings, enter the state abbreviation in (15) State.
- Enter the (15) State Employer ID No.
- Delete any state abbreviations that:
- Aren't listed on the W-2
- Are for non-taxing states
- Don't have corresponding withholdings
- Click OK to close the window.
- Scroll down to the Electronic Filing (W-2 State/Local) section.
- Make sure each state listed in this section has a state abbreviation and ID number associated with it.
- It's usually not necessary to use the overrides in this section as entries in the Wages and State and Local sections are generally sufficient.