This article will help resolve the following e-file diagnostic:
- E-file: Locality code is missing or invalid for Virginia e-file. The locality code should be a three-digit numeric code. (ref: #2441)
The locality code can be entered by following these steps:
- From the Input Return tab, go to General ⮕ Client Information.
- Scroll down to the Virginia Information section.
- Using the dropdown, select the applicable Locality Code Number.
- If the taxpayer is a nonresident of Virginia, the locality code should be 300=Outside of VA.