The following e-file critical diagnostic is generated when a CA resident taxpayer is filing as a Qualifying surviving spouse:
- e-file: California requires a "Date of Death" and "Representative Type" on all decedent tax returns. The date of death is missing. (Ref. #4989)
Starting in tax year 2022 the Qualified Widow(er) filing status has been renamed to Qualified Surviving Spouse on the federal income tax return. See IRS Pub. 501 for the qualifications.
To clear this diagnostic:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ General ⮕ Client Information
- Make sure that a Date of Death isn't entered for the taxpayer, or spouse (if applicable), under Taxpayer Information or Spouse Information.
- Go to Input Return ⮕ General ⮕ Electronic Filing
- Select E-file PDF/Miscellaneous.
- Scroll to the California Miscellaneous section.
- Locate the Decedent Information subsection, and remove any entries in either the field Return representative type or Guardian name.
- Note: These fields should only be populated during the decedent tax year.