Use the Lock/Unlock Return feature to protect your tax returns from any changes. When you lock a tax return, the program protects the client file from any changes made to detail. This includes changes made by entering new data, importing data, or calculation changes available in updated program versions.
When a client file is locked, you can only view the client's detail as read-only. You must unlock the client file before using any of the following:
- Renumber the client
- Changing client detail in the Detail Screens
- Import K-1 Data
- Import information from QuickBooks or EasyAcct.
- Create an e-file return
- Import E-Organizer
- Clear Missing Data tags
- Import General Ledger information
- Use the Family Link
- Split a Joint Return
Before you start:
- If a program change does occur and it affects information in a locked tax return, the program will list diagnostics alerting you to the changes. However, the program will not change your client's data until you unlock the return.
- By locking the return, you can only see a read-only version of the tax return until you unlock it.
- A consolidator file cannot be locked. The linked parent and subsidiary files which the consolidated data pulls from can be locked.
- To freeze the client letter before locking a file, go to the Custom Client Letter screen and check the Use This Letter checkbox.
- Locking the return can act as a reminder that the return has been completed and filed.