To complete form NJ-1040, line 12, exemption for dependents attending college:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ General ⮕ Dependents.
- Scroll down to New Jersey Information.
- Check the box for Dependent attending college.
Repeat these steps for each dependent as applicable.
To override the line 12 amount
- Go to Input Return ⮕ General ⮕ Misc. Info./Direct Deposit.
- Scroll down to New Jersey Miscellaneous.
- In the field Number of dependents attend college [O], enter the number of dependents who are attending college to claim the additional exemption.
This will override the number from the Dependents screen.