This article explains how to claim the CA renter's credit on an individual return, who qualifies for the credit, and the credit amounts in the Individual module of Intuit ProConnect.
To claim the CA renter's credit:
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- From the left of the screen, select State & Local and choose Other Credits.
- Select CA Other Credits.
- Locate the Renter's Credit section.
- Mark the checkbox labeled Qualified renter.
- The program will determine the amount of credit based on the tax return information.
- Depending upon the CA main form used, the output will appear on ;ine 46 of the Form 540 or line 19 of Form 540 2EZ.
To qualify for the CA renter's credit:
- Client paid rent in California for at least half the year.
- Client's California adjusted gross income (AGI) was:
- $43,533 or less if filing status is single or married/RDP filing separately.
- $87,066 or less if married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualified widow(er).
- The property rented wasn't exempt from California property tax.
- Client didn't live with another person who can claim client as a dependent.
- Client or client's spouse/RDP wasn't granted a homeowner's property tax exemption during the tax year.
- Client may still qualify for the credit if his or her spouse/RDP claimed a homeowner's exemption and client maintained a separate residence for the entire year.
- $60 for single or married/RDP filing separately.
- $120 for head of household, widow(er), married/RDP filing jointly.
The program applies the income limitations and the limitations for taxpayers claimed as a dependent.