This article will assist you with entering the California real estate withholding reported on Form 593 to print on the individual return Form 540, line 73.
Inputs for CA Form 593, Real Estate Withholding, is located in two places in the Individual module of Lacerte:
- Screen 55.012, California Withholding
- This is for general entries that aren't related to dispositions entered on Screen 17.
- Screen 17.1, Dispositions
- This is for amounts reported from a disposition.
Follow these steps to enter the information on the California Withholding screen:
- Go to Screen 55, Part-Yr./Nonres. Information.
- Select California Real Estate and Other Withholding from the left navigation panel.
- This will take you to Screen 55.012, California Withholding.
- Locate the General Information section.
- Enter a 1 or 2 in the 1=592-B, 2=593 field to indicate which form you're reporting.
- Scroll down to the appropriate section and enter the details for the form indicated.
Follow these steps to enter the amount on the Dispositions screen:
- Go to Screen 17, Dispositions.
- Select Schedule D/Form 4794/etc. from the left navigation panel.
- This will take you to Screen 17.1, Dispositions.
- Enter the sale information to report on Form 4797 or Schedule D.
- Select Real Estate Withholding (Form 593) from the lower-left Sections list.
- Enter the amount reported on Form 593, box 5 in the Amount withheld from seller field.
Form 593 won't be generated with the individual return. These inputs will create an electronic copy of the form to be included in the e-filed return. If this return must be paper filed, please include a copy of the original 593 received by the taxpayer.