Below, you'll find answers to frequently asked questions about the Michigan homestead property tax credit:
How do you generate the Michigan property tax credit on Form MI-1040CR?
Real estate taxes entered under Itemized Deductions will flow to line 10 of the MI-1040CR form. There's also an override available.
To use the override:
- Go to Input Return ⮕ State & Local ⮕ Other Credits.
- Select Michigan Homestead Credits (CR, CR-2).
- Under the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit section in the field labeled 2022 property taxes levied [O], enter the override amount.
This will override the real estate taxes you've entered on Screen 25.
If the form doesn't generate, it may be due to an income limitation. According to the Property Tax Credit MI-1040CR Instructions, you may not claim a property tax credit if:
- Your total household resources are over $60,000
- Your taxable value exceeds $135,000 (excluding vacant farmland classified as agricultural)