Below are solutions to frequently asked questions about entering Form IT-112-R, New York State Resident Tax Credit in the Individual module of Lacerte.
Who should file Form IT-112-R?
Your client should file this form to claim a credit against their New York State tax if they resided in New York for all or part of the year, and they had income sourced to and taxed by:
- Another state
- A local government within another state
- The District of Columbia
Refer to the Instructions for Form IT-112-R for more information.
How do I generate the New York IT-112-R for a part-year resident?
Follow these steps to generate NY Form IT-112-R:
- Go to Screen 52, Other State Tax Credit.
- Under the Other State Tax Credit (IT-112R/IT-112C) section, select New York from the left navigation panel.
- Select a state from the list in the State abbreviation field.
- This should be the other state that the taxpayer paid taxes to.
- Under the Income and Adjustments subsection, enter the following income information, if applicable:
- These fields are all overrides since Lacerte automatically calculates the credit for taxes paid to other states for full-year residents. For part-year residents, the income must be entered here.
- Wages, salaries, tips, etc. [O]
- Taxable interest income [O]
- Dividend income [O]
- State tax refund [O]
- Alimony received [O]
- Business income (or loss) [O]
- Capital gain or (loss) [O]
- Other gains or (losses) [O]
- Taxable amount of IRA distributions [O]
- Taxable pensions and annuities [O]
- Rent, royalties, partnership, etc. [O]
- Farm income or (loss) [O]
- Unemployment compensation [O]
- Taxable amount of social security [O]
- Other income [O]
- Adjustment to income [O]
- Capital gain portion of lump sum distribution [O]
- Under the Computing the Credit subsection, enter the Tax paid to other state [O].
- Complete any other information for the other state.