This article will help you:
- After installing a new scanner or switching between scanners, the DMS program does not see the connected scanner.
- When clicking on the Scan button, the message No Scanner Found or an error may display. The secondary Scan Documents window also may not open or the program may hang and go not responding.
Before you start:
This requires modification of the Windows Registry. Serious problems may occur if the registry is modified incorrectly. Intuit strongly recommends having an IT professional make these changes if you are not comfortable with editing the registry. It's also strongly recommended to make a backup of the registry before proceeding. See here for further instruction.
Follow these steps to modify your registry keys:
- Close DMS.
- Right-click on the DMS shortcut and select Properties.
- In the Target field you'll see "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\DMS\DMS.EXE"Put a space after the last character and enter -FILESCANNER .
- It should show as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\DMS\DMS.EXE" -FILESCANNER
- Select OK.
- On your keyboard, press Windows key and R to open the Run prompt.
- Type regedit and select OK.
- Browse to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lacerte\DMS\ProgramOptions
- From the right list find LastScanLocation and double click on it.
- The Value data field will show the last scanner used. Delete everything in Value data and select OK.
- From the File menu, select Exit.
- Open DMS.
- Click on the Scan button to open the Scan Documents window.
- The Section 1. Scan Documents may read [FILE]-File System. Select the Scanner dropdown menu and select the correct TWAIN driver for your scanner.
- Click Scan to resume scanning.
If the scanner driver isn't listed, remove, and reinstall the TWAIN drivers for your scanner. Be sure to refer to the scanner's User Manual for the correct steps. You may need to disconnect the scanner from the computer before the driver will install correctly and the computer may need to be restarted as well. Contact the scanner's manufacturer if the solutions above do not correct the situation.
If the Scan window simply does not appear to open on a dual monitor system, try making the main DMS window smaller and/or move it to the other monitor, then press the Scan button.
Follow these steps to temporarily disable your Anti-virus software:
This issue can also be caused by the Anti-virus software interfering with DMS' ability to communicate with the scanner.
- Close DMS.
- Disable the Anti-virus software temporarily
- Open DMS
- Attempt to scan a document using DMS.
If the scanner is still not recognized refer to an IT professional or the scanner manufacturer for further assistance.