Follow these steps:
- Go to Screen 24, Adjustments to Income.
- Select Traditional IRA from the left panel.
- Use the left column for Taxpayer information and the right column for Spouse information.
- Enter contributions in the field IRA contributions (1=maximum deduction) (code 1 taxpayer, code 51 spouse).
- Enter the amount of contribution or enter 1 to calculate the maximum deductible contribution allowed for the taxpayer and spouse.
- Enter recharacterizations of taxpayer and spouse contributions in Recharacterizations (codes 2 and 52).
- Enter the IRA contributions made by the taxpayer and spouse in Contributions Made (Letter Use Only) (codes 3 and 53).
If the Earned Income used to calculate the deduction is incorrect, adjust the amount by entering Other Earned Income [A] (code 4 taxpayer, code 54 spouse).