The Pay-Per-Return authorization for a client return is maintained in the data file and provides access to print and/or e-file that return. After the data file is authorized, the taxpayer Social Security number (SSN) or the Employer Identification Number (EIN) can't be changed.
Before you start:
- Authorized data files won't prompt for a second authorization unless the primary taxpayer Social Security number or the Employer Identification Number for the return is changed. If the SSN or EIN is changed, a second authorization will be required.
- Once a data file is authorized, the authorization information is stored within the data file and can't be lost.
- All copies of an authorized data file will keep the authorization of the original file.
- All authorized data files can be backed up, restored, renamed, or moved without losing the authorized status.
- The Pay-Per-Return Audit Report will record each authorization (purchase). Multiple authorizations for a single client are the result of authorizations of multiple data files.
- Once a return has been printed or e-filed, it's authorized and can be re-printed without incurring charges again.
Duplicate pay per return charges can be avoided by:
- Authorizing and printing from a single computer.
- Preparing the return in the same client file that was authorized for the extension.
- Making sure the Social Security number (SSN) for individual returns is correct.
- Making sure the Employer Identification Number (EIN) for business returns is correct.
- Making sure the correct state returns are attached at the time of authorization. Remove any erroneously attached state returns before authorization. See Removing a State/City Return From a Client File in ProSeries
- Avoid creating multiple data files for a single client until the data file is authorized. Copies can be made after the file is authorized, and those copies will maintain the authorization.
Causes of duplicate charges:
- If a client file is deleted, then re-entered, that client will need to be re-authorized.
- If your computer crashes and you need to re-install on a new computer, a charge will be incurred.
- If you uninstalled, renamed your program folders, and reinstalled your program, the authorization returns will be deleted.
- If a new unlimited product was recently purchased, you'll need to re-license your program.
Requesting Pay Per Return refund:
If you encounter duplicate charges and a refund is needed, submit your request using our self-serve request process on My Account. All requests are subject to approval.
- Sign in to My Account.
- From the left side of the screen select Billing.
- Select ProSeries PPR.
- Choose the Request PPR Refund dropdown and select Request a refund.
- Fill out the form, and Attach Audit Report.
- For steps to save your audit report to PDF and upload, hover over the next to Report File and follow the instructions.
- Click Submit.
You will receive a confirmation that can be saved, as well as an email confirmation. Save the Tracking Number. You can follow the same steps above and select Track Refund if you would like to see the status of your request. The Tracking Number should be entered in the Enter Case Number field.