For important information about using Internet Explorer, click here.
What are the system requirements for ProSeries for tax year 2021?
Below are the recommended and minimum system requirements for tax year 2021. We strongly suggest using the recommended system requirements if you have more than 1,000 client files, if the federal 1040 and all individual states are installed, or if you prepare large, complex returns.
Below are system requirements for 2021 ProSeries Professional, 2021 ProSeries Basic, 2021 Fixed Asset Manager, and Document Management System.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 (Download here)
|Computer processor||Intel Core i5 or better, with 2.5 GHz +|
(or equivalent processor)
|Installed random access memory (RAM)||
8 GB RAM or more
8 GB RAM
Based on continued performance testing, the minimum RAM requirement is 8GB. If you are running ProSeries on a computer with less than 8GB of RAM, you will experience slower performance when opening the program and completing tax returns. To improve performance, we recommend upgrading your RAM to 8GB or more.
|Free hard drive space||Solid State (SSD)||Hard Disk Drive (HDD) with at least 4GB available|
|Operating system|| |
Windows 10 (64-bit)Windows 11
Since Windows 10S doesn't support the installation of applications outside of Microsoft's app store, ProSeries use isn't supported by Windows 10S.
|Windows 8.1 (64-bit)|
|Printer||Any PCL 5E or higher compatible printer with 32 MB of printer memory||Any PCL 5E or higher compatible printer with 32 MB of printer memory|
|Internet connection||High-speed internet connection (for example, fiber optic or cable)||High-speed internet connection (for example, DSL, cable modem, or satellite)|
Latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge
A recently updated version of any available web browser is recommended for an optimal experience
|File Server computer processor||
Dedicated File server, 2.0 GHz CPU or faster
|2.0 GHz CPU as a dedicated File server|
|File Server installed random access memory (RAM)||
8 GB RAM or more on the file server
8 GB RAM on the file server
|Operating system for File Server||Windows 10 (64-bit) or 11|
Windows Server 2016
|Windows 8.1 (64-bit)|
Windows Server 2012 Standard
|Network infrastructure||100 Mbps connection environment||54 Mbps connection environment - includes wireless environments|
- DVD-ROM Required if installing from DVD but not required if installing from a download
- We can't guarantee that ProSeries products/solutions will function properly on operating systems, software, and hardware we don't support. ProSeries Technical Support won't be able to help customers solve problems in unsupported environments in tax year 2021 or prior tax years.
- While some customers run ProSeries in a Windows emulation environment (i.e Virtual Machine) on the Apple MacOS operating system, support for this type of install may be limited. Customers using the Apple MacOS may wish to use our online or hosted software options instead. See for more information on ProConnect Tax for our online tax product or Tax Software Hosting for ProSeries.
- Network-attached storage (NAS) isn't supported due to the lack of a Microsoft Windows-based operating system.
- Terminal server environments aren't supported.
- For Document Management System (DMS), you'll need a TWAIN-compliant driver.
- Neat scanners (Office Neat, NeatDesk, etc.) aren't compatible with Document Management System and may cause various issues.
Prior-year system requirements
- Installing and upgrading to Microsoft .NET 4.8 in Lacerte or ProSeries
- Tips to keep your computer running smooth for tax season
- Visit the Microsoft support website for RAM requirements for Windows operating systems.