When trying to e-file a return in ProSeries, you may receive the following message:
An error occured in the secure channel support.
Related error messages include:
- ProSeries failed to license products. An error occurred in the secure channel support. Error Code 5-67186557.
- Error: Retrieve Customer Service messages from the Intuit Host Server for EFIN xxxxx: An error occurred in the secure channel support. Error Code 5-6718556
Understanding secure channel errors
Secure channel errors may occur if you haven't enabled Internet Explorer browser settings to use the correct version of the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol.
ProSeries products no longer support the TLS 1.0 protocol. As of 2018, many ProSeries products, including prior years, have been updated to reflect this change.
Update all versions of ProSeries products to make sure they have the latest TLS protocol available.
How to enable the correct version of TLS:
- Close ProSeries.
- In the Windows Taskbar, enter Internet Options.
- Select Internet Options.
- In the Internet Properties window, select the Advanced tab.
- Scroll to the Security section.
- Select the box labeled Use SSL 3.0.
- Select OK.
- Open ProSeries and try to e-file, check acknowledgements, or license.