This article will walk you through creating a template with standard information for tax returns in ProSeries Professional.
How do I create a template with standard information?
If there's standard information that you want to appear in every client's return, you can enter it in the Client Template file for that type of return. From there, it's automatically applied to each return of that type that you subsequently create. The type of information that you might enter in the Client Template file for individual returns includes:
- City and state
- Filing status
- Presidential Election Campaign Fund checkboxes
- Calculate Form 1040 instead of Form 1040A
Follow these steps to enter standard information in a Client Template file:
- From the Tools menu, select Edit Client Template.
- If you've installed more than one ProSeries federal product, select the appropriate product from the Select Client Template File window that appears.
- When the caution message appears, click OK to continue.
- Enter the information on the appropriate forms and worksheets that you want to appear in every subsequent return that you create.
- Once finished, go to the File menu and select Close Client Template.
- Click Yes to save the Client Template file.
- ProSeries uses information in the Client Template file for subsequent, new returns only.
- The program doesn't apply template information to returns that you create before you enter data in the Client Template file—or to returns that you start when you transfer data from last year's ProSeries client files.
- To stop using the Client Template file, repeat steps 1 through 3 above, delete all of the information that you entered in the template, then save the Client Template file.
- Doing this affects all returns that you later create, but it doesn't affect returns that you've already created and to which the template information was previously applied.
- The Client Template is only for federal returns. There's no template for state returns.