You can save a return as a PDF file and then send the file to your client or to another tax preparer. The recipient does not need to have ProConnect Tax to view the PDF but will need to have a PDF reader application installed on their system, like Adobe Reader.
The PDF file that is produced by ProConnect Tax is unencrypted. We recommend encrypting the file before emailing it. You can password protect the file before attaching it to an email by opening the file with the Adobe Acrobat Standard edition and selecting the Security Method. Acrobat Reader does not have this feature.
Encrypting a PDF copy of the return:
For these first set of steps, we recommend using Adobe Acrobat Standard edition, as Acrobat Reader does not have this feature:
- Open the file using Adobe Acrobat Standard.
- Go to the File menu and select Document Properties.
- Click on Security.
- Click on the Security Method drop-down list and select Password Security.
- Select the Require a password to open the document and enter your password.
- Click OK.
- Follow the steps in the previous section to send the encrypted file.
Emailing a PDF copy of the return:
To send a PDF to a client or another tax preparer, use the following steps. Some steps may vary depending on your email provider:
- Open a email service or program depending the service that is being used please consult the help section of the email provider on how to send an email.
- Most common email service include Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, and AOL.
- Once your email service has been opened click on New/Create Email.
- Enter the email address you would like to send to into the To: field located at the top of the email and enter a subject also into the subject field.
- Click on the Attach button, depending on the service that is used the attach button is commonly shown as a paper clip located just above the the To:/From: fields (exception for this will be for AOL which is located at the bottom of the email).
- Once the attach button has been clicked navigate to the PDF location by click on the Look In drop down located at the top of the small window that appeared. Depending on where the file has been saved it may take some time to locate the file.
- Once the PDF file has been located click on the Save/Open button located in the bottom-right corner of the screen. After clicking on the Save/Open button the screen will return to the new email and the file will be attached. The file name will show either below the subject field or at the bottom of the email depending on the service used.
- Enter text into the body of the email and click on Send.