This article will help resolve the following e-file critical diagnostic:
- e-file: PDF Attachment: PDF File of the Signed Form 8453-FE must be Attached to the Return, when not Using the E-file PIN Signature Option. (ref. #37513)
This diagnostic generates if an override in Screen 2.2, Electronic Filing has been made in e-File PIN signature 1 =when applicable, 2=suppress [O] under the subsection Paperless Filing - Overrides.
When the override is used, this diagnostic generates and indicates that a taxpayer-signed copy of Form 8453-FE must be attached as a PDF. This is because the form instructions state you must file electronically with the estate's or trust's return. Don't file paper copies.
To resolve the diagnostic by attaching Form 8453-FE as a PDF:
- Go to the Forms tab.
- Select Form 8453-FE.
- Select Print Form from the top right and select OK.
- After Form 8453-FE is printed, make sure the fiduciary or the officer representing the fiduciary, signs the form.
- Scan the signed copy as a PDF, and save the PDF file on your computer.
- Go to Screen 2.2, Electronic Filing.
- Select PDF Attachment.
- Select Add from the left menu.
- Select Attach PDF and Browse Files to locate your PDF file.
- Select your PDF, then Open and OK.
- Select the Form 8453-FE box.