This article will help you determine why some or all of your client files did not proforma as expected and resolve the issue. There are a number of reasons why you might not see clients, or some information in the return after attempting to proforma them to the next year. The most common solutions are listed first below.
Before you start:
- If you are receiving a "Failure during Proforma Processing..." or "Failed to Transfer..." error when trying to proforma, see this support article.
Follow these steps to verify you're viewing the correct tax type:
- Click the Client menu, then go to Tax Type.
- Select the correct tax type of the client proforma'd.
Follow these steps to verify the data path:
Make sure the path to which you are proforma'ing the client and the path you are viewing in the later tax year are the same.
For example, if you are transferring your Individual clients from 2021 Lacerte to 2022 Lacerte:
- In the 2021 Lacerte program, go to the Tools menu.
- Then select Transfer Clients (Proforma) and click Next at the Welcome screen.
- Select the Select specific clients from the Individual Tax program option and click Next.
- Select Custom and click Next.
- Select the clients you wish transfer and select Add. This will move the client(s) to the Clients to Transfer pane.
- Select Next.
- Verify the Destination Directory (look for any errors, misspelled words, or extra characters). This directory should be the same as your 2022 Lacerte Individual Data Path.
- Next, open the 2022 Lacerte Tax program.
- Under Settings select Options.
- On the Setup tab, make note of the Data Path.
- If the Data Path isn't the same as the destination directory, re-proforma the client in the prior year and select Browse to transfer the client to the current year's data path.
Follow these steps to verify no Filters have been set:
Filters and pre-filters can sometimes cause clients not to display when they are actually present in the data path.
- On the Clients tab in the later year program, select All Clients and Client Status (both in the left-hand pane) to turn off any filters.
- Select Filters menu and Select Pre-Filter.
- Select Reset and then OK. This will turn off any pre-selected filters.
Follow these steps to review common detail entries that affect proforma:
Check the client input to make sure the following aren't true:
- For Individual returns, check for a Date of Death on Screen 1 - Client Information. Returns that have a deceased taxpayer with filing status of Single, MFS, or HOH will not proforma.
- For Business returns, check to see if the return is marked as a Final Return. Returns marked final will not transfer to the next year. [Partnership - screen 3; Corporate - screen 4; S-Corporation - screen 3; Fiduciary - screen 2]