For the following E-File Critical Diagnostic, follow the steps below to resolve.
e-file: PDF Attachment #X: PDF file is missing. Please attach the desired PDF file. (ref. #2008108, #9735, or #32698)
This diagnostic generates when the process of linking the PDF to the tax return in Lacerte is not complete or if there is corruption in the PDF.
Solution #1- If the PDF is incomplete:
- Go to the Electronic Filing screen.
- Screen 3.2, Electronic Filing (S-Corporate)
- Screen 4, Electronic Filing (Partnership)
- Screen 4.2, Electronic Filing (Corporate)
- Screen 4.4, e-file Miscellaneous (Individual)
- Click on the number generating the diagnostic under the e-file Attachment section from the left navigation panel.
- Click on Delete from the left navigation panel.
- Confirm the file is deleted and the diagnostic is no longer generated.
- If the diagnostic is still generating and the PDF is no longer attached see Solution #2
- Reattach the PDF.
- See Attaching PDF to an E-file Return in the Business Modules or Attaching PDF Documents to a 1040 Return for more information. If the PDF Attachment was attached erroneously, don't reattach the PDF, as long as the diagnostic is removed you can continue with your return.
Solution #2- PDF Corruption:
- Attach a different PDF as a test (the file will be deleted later)
- Make sure the diagnostic is gone. If so, there's an issue with the original PDF that was attached
- Delete the test PDF attachment and attach a different copy of the original PDF
- If the diagnostic is still present after deleting and re-attaching the PDF file, run the database repair - CLPACK