This article will help you determine which mailing address to use when sending a Form 7004 application for an automatic 6-month extension. It'll also assist you with generating the Form 7004 filing instructions in Lacerte.
Follow these steps to determine which address the Form 7004 should be sent to:
- Go to the IRS Where to File Form 7004 webpage.
- Find the applicable main form under the IF the form is... column.
- Determine the state under the AND your principal business, office, or agency is located in... column.
- Locate the address under the THEN file Form 7004 at: column.
Follow these steps to generate Filing Instructions for Form 7004 within Lacerte:
- Go to the applicable Invoice, Letter, Filing Instructions screen.
- Screen 5.1 (Corporate)
- Screen 2.1 (Partnership)
- Screen 4.1 (S-Corporate)
- Screen 3.1 (Fiduciary)
- Scroll down to the Filing Instructions section.
- Enter a 1 in the Filing Instructions: 1=yes, 2=no [O] field (code 20).
- Check the box labeled Automatic Extension (7004).
- Go to the Forms tab.
- Select the Filing Instructions.
- Click the Print Form button at the top right corner of the screen.
- Go back to the Invoice, Letter, Filing Instructions screen.
- Remove the entry of 1 in the Filing Instructions: 1=yes, 2=no [O] field (code 20).
- Uncheck the box labeled Automatic Extension (7004).