This article will help you generate and file Forms 8804, Annual Return for Partnership Withholding Tax, and Form 8805, Foreign Partner's Information Statement of Section 1446 Withholding Tax in a partnership return.
To generate Forms 8804 and 8805:
- Go to Screen 7, Partner Information.
- Scroll down to the Miscellaneous Info section.
- Make sure the box for Foreign Partner? is checked, and the partner's Account Number and Country Code are entered.
- Go to Screen 55, Annual Return for Partnership W/H (8804 & 8805).
- Complete the Withholding Agent information. Or check the box for Partnership is also the withholding agent, if applicable.
- Enter any payments during the year or overpayments from the previous year in the section Section 1446 Tax.
- Enter any other applicable information for this form.
- Go to the Forms tab to view Form 8804 and Form 8805 to verify amounts.
Where do I file the 8804?
The program will generate a critical diagnostic reminding you that Form 8804 is filed separately from the return. Lacerte can also generate filing instructions that tell you when and where to file, and what forms to attach.
To print the filing instructions:
- Go to Screen 2.1, Invoice, Letters, Filing Instructions.
- Scroll down to the Filing Instructions section.
- Check the box for Annual Return for Partnership Withholding Tax (8804).
How do I override a partner's 8805?
- Go to Screen 32.1, Schedule K-1 Miscellaneous.
- Scroll down to the Form 8804/8805 section.
- Enter the applicable amounts for this partner.
Note: These entries will impact the totals calculated on Form 8804.