How do I generate an extension?
How do I file an extension?
- Go to the Profile tab.
- Check the E-FILE box for both Federal and Federal Extension.
- Go to the Input Return tab.
- On the left-side menu, select Payments, Penalties & Extensions (or select General, in a 1065 return).
- Click on Automatic Extension (7004).
- Enter a 1 in 1=automatic extension, 2=blank (MANDATORY).
- Go to the Check Return tab.
- Clear all Extension Diagnostics.
- Go to the File Return tab.
- On the left side of your screen, click E-file Extension.
- Click E-File Now.
Note: Choosing Start e-file Extension Wizard is critical, if Step 2: Start e-file Return Wizard is selected, the return itself--not the extension--will be transmitted. An amended return would need to be filed on paper.
Help! My return was rejected! What's the perfection period?
For electronically filed returns you are allowed 10 calendar days to resubmit a rejected e-file return. See Publication 4163 under the Transmission Perfection Period section for more information. (This does not apply to payments)
For electronically filed extensions you are allowed 5 calendar days to resubmit a rejected e-file extension. See Publication 4163 under the Transmission Perfection Period section for more information. (This does not apply to payments)