SUTA rates often vary by company, so the State Unemployment Tax rates and limits are not stored with the other payroll tax tables. Instead they are stored on a per-company basis in the Company Information Screen.
Follow these steps:
- Go to Write-up or Batch Payroll, Update Company Files and Company Information.
- On the Main tab select SUTA Rates/Limits.
- Enter the two-digit state postal abbreviation for the applicable state.
- Enter the company's State Unemployment ID. This number will print on the tax forms (make sure to use hyphens where applicable).
- Enter the limit and rate for the current and prior year in SUTA Rates and Limits.
- Enter a whole number for the rate. If your state assigns it as a decimal, convert it to a percentage (decimal X 100 = percentage). For example, the decimal equivalent of 2.47% is 0.0247, so the amount entered would be 2.47.
- More than one code can be entered if necessary.
- On the Default Payroll Information tab, make sure the SUTA code is entered for the Gross Pay (GP) items. Only enter one for Withholdings (WH) items that aren't subject to SUTA tax. This guarantees that new employees will have SUTA setup properly in their employee records.
- If you set up the SUTA code after setting up the employees, make sure the SUTA code is entered for each employee. For more information on setting up employees in EasyACCT, visit here.