This article will help you transfer client files between the corporate and S corporate modules by using the bridge utility in Lacerte.
Before you start:
- Remove any passwords from the client file.
- Make sure the client file is unlocked.
Follow these steps to bridge a return:
- Open Lacerte.
- Select the Client menu at the top of the program, then click on Tax Type.
- Select the target tax type you want to transfer into.
- For example, if your existing client is in the Corporate module, open the S-Corporate module here.
- Click on the Tools menu at the top of the program.
- Select Import clients from Corporate (or S-Corporation).
- Click on the client you want to bridge, then press OK.
- Enter a number for the imported client, and click OK.
- If you select a client number that already exists in your current data path, the program will ask if you want to overwrite the existing return. We recommend you press No and repeat steps 4-7 using a distinct client number.
- The imported client will convert and appear on the client list.
The original client file will still be available in its previous tax type after the transfer.
Bridge utility limitations:
- The program imports only federal codes. You may need to re-enter state-specific data.
- The bridge utility only converts the client to a different tax type in the same year of Lacerte.
- When exporting a Corporation client to an S-Corporation client, only corporate officers with common stock percentages become shareholders in the new S-Corporation. Additional shareholders must be added in the S-Corporation Shareholder Information, Screen 5.
- If you use Lacerte on an REP basis, you'll need to request REP access after importing the return. There's no additional fee for bridged files.