To generate the Form W-7 Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number:
- Go to Screen 83, Application for Taxpayer I.D. # (ITIN).
- Check the box, Print Form W-7 with complete return.
- Complete all necessary information under the Reason for W-7 (a-h) subsection.
- Scroll down to the Application Information section.
- Enter a 1 or 2 in, 1 = taxpayer, 2 = spouse.
- Complete all other information for Form W-7.
Note: The following information will be pulled from Screen 1, Client Information based on the selection above:
- First and Last Name
- Mailing Address
- Date of Birth
The W-7 form is used when a taxpayer does not have a SSN (social security number) or an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). This issue occurs when you have a NR (non-resident) alien who must file a tax return. The Federal return will allow you to file without a SSN or ITIN as long as you attach a W-7 with the return. The return will have to be mailed, it can not be e-filed.